Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Spavalous in Boston

Are your legs aching like mine are -- after walking for hours? Head to the urban oasis called the Spa at Mandarin Oriental, where you will deal with the top professionals, trained by Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group managers, who were trained by Aromatherapy Associates from the U.K. On the fourth floor, you'll walk into the sounds of nearby waterfalls and feel the energy of quartz candle holders as if you entered into Superman's cave -- minus the kryptonite.

A lovely staff member will guide you to a seat and slip on spa shoes for your visit. As you wipe your face with a wet and warmed facecloth and sip on chamomile tea, you fill out a "Lifestyle Consultation Form" before heading to the water area, where you can choose one or all offerings: a four-choice shower of two color or two hot options. I chose the tropical rainstorm button to feel as if I'm really away in the tropics. Then, head to the jacuzzi, a small swimming pool, actually. Spend about 10 minutes relaxing before stepping out and into the amazingly lit steam room. Twinkling stars change colors in this sensory experience.

Changing LED light colors in the steam room!
Now, dry off and slip on your spa robe and slippers and head to the meditative room, where the aromas and sounds are soothing to the point where you'll fall asleep -- until awakened gently by your massage therapist. Mine, Sara, was absolutely amazing, and it is at the Spa at Mandarin that I enjoyed a Boston-related treatment that was one of the best treatments I've ever received -- in a setting that offered no less than the best. I was there to receive the Commonwealth Comforter. I mean, really. I am from Boston, so might as well see what the Commonwealth can offer!

Well, it offers 1 hour and 50 minutes of perfect indulgence for my dry, out-of-condition skin. But first, Sara informed me that it is Asian tradition to bathe the feet and offer a treatment before the service starts. Who was I to refuse? My feet were in a bowl of warm water -- and atop stones that soothed. From there, Sara gently towel-dried my tooties and instructed me to lie face down on the massage table and cover up. My head fit in the comfy donut hole and the view, I must say, ranked! A bowl of aromatherapy infused water with floating florals that seemed to be orchids -- the decision on the flower kept me busy until Sara returned to start my treatment. She began with an intense body exfoliation of frankincense and coffee expertly maneuvered on to my body so that I felt like she was scratching an itch I couldn't get to.
When she was finished, I stepped into the adjoining shower room and rinsed, towel-dried, and returned for more. An exotically fragranced serum of geranium and vanilla left my skin soothed and refreshed. Then, layers of moisturizing oils and body butters were applied before I was wrapped in a cottony blanket to let it all seep into my pores. Oh, but it didn't end there. An application of hydrating facial products -- all rose aromas -- and a relaxing scalp massage complete this nourishing experience. When I heard the chimes, I knew my experience had come to an end, but I was too relaxed to be affected by sadness.
I floated back to my beautiful room in the Mandarin Oriental Boston and looked out at the view of Boylston Street, at Anthropologie and Abe & Louie's -- shopping and eating and spa treatment -- oh my!

No comments: