Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My-o myofascial

"Myofascial" is medically defined as "of or relating to the fascia surrounding and separating muscle tissue," where "fascia" is "a sheet or band of fibrous connective tissue enveloping, separating or binding together muscles, organs and other soft structures of the body."

Out of Bodywork Energy & Wellness, licensed massage therapist Debi Blaisdell specializes in myofascial release massage, to which I was first introduced to a few months earlier at Whole Foods.

Among a series of holistic offerings, Whole Foods occasionally hosts $1-per-minute chair massages performed by licensed massage therapists of the North Shore. As a regular customer of the store's fish department, I noticed the massage chairs at the checkout area, quickly removed $5 from my wallet and bought myself five minutes of increased blood flow.

Five minutes left me wanting more, and I succumbed.

When I met Debi at the front door of her sister's business, she led me into one of three rooms. Bamboo shades blocked out the sunlight, a black-and-white photo of a bonsai tree hung on the sage-colored wall, and candles were the only light source. Instant relaxation.

In an easy-to-understand assertion, she enlightened me to the benefits of a regular myofascial release. Myofascial, like most massage treatments, is about healing the body's system from under the skin. Like Saran Wrap, muscles become bunched up, and Debi's job is to slowly move the fascia to iron out the wrinkles.

"Like a stick of butter that liquefies," she analogized.

The gentle, profound work in a myofascial release massage is often mixed with energy work and Swedish and deep-tissue massage, depending on the needs of the individual.

I guessed my sore muscles would require all of the above.

Ready to begin, she instructed me to "get down to my comfort level" and lie in a supine position on the heated table. New age music played in the background.

"It's healing music," she explained.

My session began with an incorporation of energy work and myofascial release. With my eyes closed, I relished the attention given to my scalp. Hands cupped my head, fingers gradually settled in specific locations at my temples and the hairline of my neck. (I was later told my energy's creative field was so entertaining, she didn't want to leave my swirling crown.)

Most of my energy, to my surprise, arrested in my head.

Debi's gentle touch, through a combination of stretching and deep stroking, lasted through half the session, releasing most of my blockages.

Now, I usually do not enjoy a tender-touch massage, but there was something soothing and productive about this particular one. All of a sudden I felt my arm elongating. What felt like a contraction was a release of my blockages. I can only imagine that my nervous system, if I could identify it, quieted.

I was later told that everyone experiences a unique release. Some people feel waves while their muscles release, others feel an extreme temperature change, while some even cry. It all depends on a person's body and how they're feeling.

Although I hadn't been aware of this, she told me that my hands were doing funky waves during a release on my wrist. She claimed to have no participation in the motion, stating she was the guide encouraging it to go to the place it needed to be.

In the midst of the motion, I suddenly experienced a foot cramp and a slight headache. Toxins were releasing, and I could feel it.

Just when I thought my therapeutic time was nearing an end, I heard the lotion pump and knew the best was yet to come. With every rub of rhythmic turbulence and push of my pressure points, she took a deep breath and I followed. I was receptive to her energy and decided to go with the flow.

Fortunately, I did not end up crying on the table when my fascias were released, but I did have thoughts of urgently emptying my bladder.

The next day, I could actually feel the results. What felt like bruises on my arm were knots come undone, but most significant was the enhanced range of motion I experienced in my neck. And my wrists did feel better after the surf they rode.

Debi checked in with me the following day and told me to focus on thoughts of releasing any tightness I might experience in the next few days. My body should automatically release, she said, based on muscle memory. Nice. The massage benefits continue.

I'm not surprised that two energies can cause quite a stir in certain situations, but I was more than satisfied that Debi knew what she was doing. Through our energy, we created a bond that will last forever.

No comments: